Thursday, June 07, 2012

Trailer for Tarantino's "Django Unchained"




When I first found out that Quentin Tarantino was making a revenge film with slaveowners in the American Deep South as his villains, my reaction oscillated between relief ("Finally! Yesss!") and indignation ("What took you so long? What took Hollywood so long to see those homegrown plantation creeps as worthy villains?"). I had long felt that there needed to be a temporary moratorium on Nazis, Russians, etc., as Hollywood movie villains and that Hollywood's attention needed to turn to homegrown baddies. I had felt that there was a need for some effective, pulpy, trashy movies that brought down cathartic fictional vengeance on slaveowners and, even more urgently, on those who were responsible for the genocide of the Native Americans of North America. I had half hoped that some German or French filmmaker would deliver even if Hollywood didn't. But those foreign filmmakers turned out to be far too serious and sophisticated to cater to my base expectations. Anyway, I am psyched to see Tarantino's Django Unchained when it comes out this Christmas.

No comments:

Notable: April 2024

What to Do When Your 401(k) Leaves Something to Be Desired By Mark Miller, The New York Times, April 19, 2024 The Basics of Smartphone Back...